I did my first open roll in BJJ this Saturday. Wow, that was an eye-opening and a humbling experience. I've only been training for 3 weeks so I didn't really know what to expect. I didn't think I would do particular well to begin with but the experience taught me a few things:
1. Learning techniques is a far cry from executing them while rolling. You get so tired and things happen so quickly. If you don't grab that short window of opportunity, you'll find yourself in a bad position.
2. Drill, drill, drill. The bread and butter techniques (right now for me, that's escapes and sweeps) have to be muscle memory.
3. The higher ranked belts were very cool during the roll. They didn't go too hard on me and gave me some very good advice (like keeping my elbow tight to my body during mount defense). It was amazing how little power they were using and still dominating me.
I was sore for 2 days after that session. Tonight's session was good; learned some chokes from back control and gave me a chance to drill my mount escapes (trap and roll, elbow escape, elbow escape with fishhooks)
No comments:
Post a Comment